Monday, March 12, 2012

I'm Going Out On A Limb

We all are a product of our training, upbringing and experiences. Gun people fall into many different categories as well. Some people were raised around guns and like many different styles, some just like to shoot, some like to collect and don't shoot much, some are newbies and wanting to learn, some don't really like guns much but realize they need one for protection and tolerate them, to some it's a fad and they may be into something else next year.
Myself, well.......I don't really fit a norm. I have always been around guns and enjoy shooting. I am very much a traditionalist though. I think there is NOTHING more American than a Colt Single Action Army. I even feel it's sacrilegious when they make clones without the hammer spur.

I also think any Winchester lever action is beautiful  and a true American masterpiece. I thought it was a horrible era when police departments changed from revolvers to automatics, I thought it was even worse they chose plastic foreign designed guns over 1911's.
I wish AR-15's and M-16's had wood stocks, hand oil rubbed and were chambered in 308. In fact I think all military weapons should be 30 caliber or larger. I think the M14 was the perfect military weapon. I think all guns should be wood and steel or metal alloy. I don't care too much about weight, if you can't handle it take up knitting. The bigger the bore the better I like it. I like double barrel shotguns,  I like 44 mag revolvers. I like 1911's. My 9mm's are Hi-Powers and S&W model 39, all metal guns. The only polymer pistol I own is a Kel-Tec 380.
I know there are a lot of fine, well made polymer guns out there, I know they are more high-tech than mine, I know they might shoot better and are easier to handle, I'm not against them but this is still one of my freedoms, to shoot what I enjoy.
I don't think SKS's and AK-47's are collector guns, I think they are beaters and deserve to be used and abused, if it makes you feel good to chop it up and modify it be my guest, this goes for any communist bloc weapon. I think a gun should be strong enough to be used as a club if you run out of ammo. I think guns are tools, if you are afraid to scratch it then put it away and get one you can 'drive like it's stolen.' I think the only safety a gun needs is your brain and trigger finger. I think every red blooded patriot needs to have guns (whatever kind) and know how to use them well.
Alright, I probably upset some but I feel a little better, I'm not trying to offend anyone. just tell you what I like. Aren't you glad I'm not in charge.  If you feel like it let me know where you fit in.

26 comments:

  1. Since I don't really know any thing about guns, I can't leave a comment, but as I posted over at Stephens place..."The bigger the gun the bigger the boom." so I would agree with you and Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said I'm not against plastic's in weapons, just isn't my favorite. It's also true I don't know how an heirloom will look in 200 years made of plastic....may not be real safe to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duke, I think I understand how you feel about firearms. I've always loved powerful things, not just guns. My pickup truck has the biggest, most powerful gas guzzling v-8 that you can order from the factory and I love it. I had a S&W model 29 back in the days when the .44 mag really was the most powerful handgun in the world. I had an old Stevens double barrel 12 gauge with the external hammers and I used to love to pull both triggers at the same time just to see what it could do. I had one rifle though that was right on the edge of being more than I could accurately handle. It was a beautiful Ruger in .458 mag. I could fire it accurately for the first 3 to 4 rounds but after that the recoil started to make me flinch. Man that thing sounded like a cannon going off and what a beautiful walnut stock. Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I had to give up my V8, I switched to a diesel truck but I think you get it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Dear Duke, buddy - i loooved this post! and couldn't agree more! when i was in basic training, we were trained on an FNC1!!! that thing weighed a ton! and could definitely be used as a club if you ran out of ammo! later in my career, we changed over to plastic C7's. hated that thing.

    great post buddy! i really like it when you share! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, thank you my friend. Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  5. I've still got an M1 Garand on my gun list... a list of guns I hope to own someday... Yeah, they're heavy and only hold like eight rounds, but that gun metal gray parkerizing, oiled wood stock, and thirty-ought-six caliber... that's just a good ol' American gun to me...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M1 Garand is another fine gun, can't go wrong there. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Nothing wrong with ANY of your ideas... :-) I have and shoot both Gen 1 SAAs and Winchesters, so I'm there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO, I figured some would understand. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Can't disagree with anything you've said, and I feel the same way about 'plastic' guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rev Paul sometimes it is good to say what you feel.

      Delete
  8. "Aren't you glad I'm not in charge."

    You probably ought to be.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, nice of you to say so. Thanks my friend.

      Delete
    2. i'm with Matt on this one!

      u no hoo

      Delete
  9. Brother, my Grandmother(later my mom) had a sign on her fridge that said "This is my ship and I'll do as I damn please." This blog is your ship, buddy. That being said, I own more wheelguns than semi autos in handguns, and 2 have plastic in them, a Keltec and a Hi-Point(speaking of clubs). My rifles are com-bloc because it's what I can afford, and I can shoot them till they bleed cosmoline. I even handload for a Mosin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TinCan Assassin, I hear you. I have some of those com-bloc weapons as well but they are beaters, good guns but still beaters.

      Delete
  10. I follow exactly what you're saying. No one should take this as a "this is how it should be done" but more "this is how I like things to be done." I cross paths with you on a lot of those paths, especially the SKS and AK thing. I'm a lover of all guns, but I don't feel much for the "tools" that I carry. I do adore my Winchester lever-action and I would love to get my grubby mitts on that SAA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 45er, I do not have an Colt SAA but wish I did, I do have a clone and I love the way it handles. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree with you on the M-14. If/when the S hits the F, that'll be the one that I grab out of my safe, hands down every time. And old lever guns? Those ARE America.

    Full disclosure: I own AR-15s and Glocks, but I'd have no problem defending life and lair with a Martini-Henry or Trapdoor Springfield, and wore be it to the thug, jackbooted or sneaker-wearing, who exposes himself long enough for me to draw a bead because those things still throw enormous hunks of lead pretty far and pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own AR's as well, I wish I had an old Trapdoor Springfield.

      Delete
  13. A buddy of mine, carries a colt single action, every day. He has newer weapons, but say's that he just likes the feel of a wheel gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty neat. If I could open carry I would be tempted.

      Delete