Friday, January 4, 2013

Gun Ban, My Gut Feeling.

There is a lot of talk out there of assault weapons bans coming back and that may well be the case but I will stick my neck out and weigh in with my thoughts.
 If it looks like the Clinton ban it will be fairly useless, the biggest pain with that ban was the hi-cap magazines, even though they weren't allowed to produce and import them they were still readily available  as long as you paid the high price. The other parts of the Clinton ban was threaded muzzles, bayonet lugs and adjustable/folding stocks all of which have zero bearing on the function of the weapon.
I have been reading about the Illinois proposed gun ban and even with a liberal state government it faces an up hill battle, why ? because regardless of what we think there are liberal gun owners. I have friends, acquaintances and even some family who would call themselves democrats but like to shoot or hunt and don't want to see their rights erode. You can walk into any crowded gun show or gun shop and see people who you strongly suspect would vote democrat. In 0bama's first term he had control of House and Senate and could have outright banned all weapons but he did not because there is no way he would have had the votes and he wanted to be re-elected which tells you they know it is a loosing issue.
                           So having said all that I don't think we will see a bill jammed through like the most recent 'fiscal cliff ' bill because they are not up against the clock on this issue and I am sure there will be plenty of debate. You also have to factor in the NRA which is a huge and powerful lobby group who many Democrat and Republicans are afraid of.
I would not be overly surprised if they fail to get anything passed. If I had speculate on a bill that does get passed I think it would include the so called 'gun show loophole' which means private sales would be subject to a background check and maybe a hi-cap magazine ban and maybe parts of the Clinton ban.
While any ban or law is against the Second Amendment I personally don't see an all out ban or registration this time around, it surely will come at some point I think which is why if you were caught sleeping this time you should not let it sneak up on you in the future.

So, I may be totally out to lunch on this one...... What do you think ?

18 comments:

  1. I think you're spot on. I'm sure that the reps have gotten a ear full from their constituents. I think some new restrictions will pass though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, I might be all wrong but I think we will see very little.

      Delete
  2. This is what I have been thinking as well. (and the Ill. ban didn't make enough votes to pass, so that tells you something). I have been waiting out the panic buying...I think it will settle down. What I *do* think we will see, is a state by state (or even city) restrictions....so think Chicago type bans in places such as CT (hard pressed not to get something passed there now)...so where you live/visit/work will be crucial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SouthernProletariat, I think the panic will settle down somewhat as well and it is highly the feds throw any regulations back on the states.

      Delete
  3. After what happened with the Supreme Court this past summer, I'm not betting that the republicans will find a backbone in the congress.

    Therefore I still believe that fineswine's ban is still very possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, you're right in thinking anything can happen and it could however I really don't think there is nearly enough support for that drastic a bill. Even the Illinois bill didn't try to go that far and look where it is at.

      Delete
  4. Isn't fineswine a member of the NRA and a gun holder herself? I thought I caught this some where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I doubt she is a NRA member. If she is not a gun holder she at least has armed protection herself. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Can't say for sure regarding NRA membership (doubtful) but if she has it she certainly should be 'excommunicated'.

      She DOES have a concealed carry permit from sanfransicko and has for a very long time. Try and get one if you are not someone of her 'stature'. Armed protective details are part of her daily life as well.

      OTB MCPO sends

      Delete
  5. As Hemingway wrote, 'Isn't it pretty to think so.' My worry is the Executive Order. Therefore I concur with Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, an Executive Order is highly possible but it would be totally illegal and subject to a lot of court hearing. I really thought we stood a greater chance of a gun ban the first two years the little zero was in office.

      Delete
  6. I don't believe anything anymore. I know there are lots of Dems. that own guns, but they also are still a democrat and won't go against BO. I smell a Executive order as well. and it doesnt matter about being illegal or not, he has proven nothing matters to him when it comes to his agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Concur on the EO, and I think they will go for Feinstein's 'ban', registration and inability to transfer to children... dammit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illegal - when has that stopped lil barry in the past. What most likely will happen is that 'diefi' and her cronies will propose all sorts of outlandish schemes - oh wait they already have - and then 'settle' for lesser things like a mirror image and probably enhanced of awb'94. Then when we 'compromise' with her and cry 'victory' she will have succeeded in further eroding our individual rights and liberties. And many on the 'right' will think we have stemmed the tide...............

      OTB MCPO sends.....

      Delete
    2. Old NFO, I don't see them going for Feinstein's ban especially as proposed but we will see.

      Anon, I know they don't care about illegal actions but it would subject it to court action and trust me there would be plenty. They have already eroded out second amendment rights with all the gun laws on the books now. Like I said I am going out on a limb about what I think may happen, we will see.

      Delete
  8. I hope you are correct, but Mr. Obama has pushed things through before that did not have popular support and sidestepped normal channels. I wonder if we should transfer some weapons to adult children now ? I did this week in the hope that the rest of my kids outlive ME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, I guess we will find out what will happen. Transferring weapons to kids might be a bit premature as what the government doesn't know about they can't regulate and as of yet there is no registration of any kind. Thanks for weighing in my friend.

    ReplyDelete