Monday, September 19, 2011

Where would you live?

If you could live anywhere where would it be?  I have pondered this question for a long time. I have done lots of research and would like some input. I know this is a loaded question because most of us are biased in some way usually we base it on where we were born or raised or where family live or where we work etc. I am trying to be objective and look at facts the best I can find them. One important factor I consider is overall taxes. I looked at  US Census  numbers for tax burden by state, this takes into account total tax paid per capita and includes property tax, sales tax, fees, income tax if applicable etc. The top 10 states which paid the lowest were (in order) SD, TX, NH, CO, Missouri, Tenn, AL, SC, GA and OR.
The worst 5 were, Vermont, Hawaii, Wyoming, Conn, Minn.

Here again this is Per Capita, if you totaled all tax revenue for a given state and divided it between every man, woman and child it is the dollar amount they each pay. Wyoming for example has a very low tax revenue for the state but they also very low population so it works out more per person.

I also looked at  this Retirement Web Site and  and it lists the best 5 States for tax burden according to percentage of income as being in order, Alaska 6.6%, NH 7.3%, Del 8.4%, Tenn 8.6% and AL, 8.8%
The worst 5 were Maine, 13.5%, NY 12.9%, Ohio 10.0%, Minn 11.9% and Hawaii 11.7 %
Neither on of these lists tell the whole story because they are based on averages per state, your income may be more so the percentage of income my be less or your property may be worth more or less so it will effect the total property tax you pay etc. Also percentages don't take into account average income in NY is much higher than Mississippi for example.  It is interesting to note that AL and Tenn fall in the good category on both lists (neither of which are my state BTW)
Another factor to consider is  weather, climate, growing seasons, terrain, access to things you need etc. We should factor "Freedom Friendly" States as far as gun laws, CCW permits, Home Schooling maybe etc. Not to mention bug out potential and natural resources.
I ask this question, Hypothetically, if  you had  a U-Haul truck loaded with all your possessions and no family or personal ties where would go and why? (assume money and job were not an issue) If you believe your current state is best give a second option if you could not live there.

22 comments:

  1. I like Alaska, which is a good thing since that's where I live. Second best might be Wyoming, another state with low taxes & Constitutional carry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. North central Idaho, or south western Montana. But, you must first seek permission to leave without me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vermont or New Hampshire for me. I have my reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am from MN, We have lived in Fla almost 5 years. I am ready to return to MN. Yes I will pay higher taxes, but I am sick of high unemployment and other issues. I would consider MT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Stephen. Even though gun laws aren't as good in Oregon, I may slip over the border from Idaho just because it is so purty and green. Oh yeah, when you pick up Stephen don't forget to leave room for me in back. I'm on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rev Paul, I like Alaska but I am not sure if I could take the weather but in a SHTF situation you would be the most isolated for sure.
    Stephen and Hillbilly, good points, That is something about good adjoining states you could go across borders to save some sales tax for example or easier purchases on other things.
    MDR, Vermont is nice but high liberal base, I don't know much about NH
    Rob's Bunker, I know what you mean, Fla has no income tax but you do make up for it in other ways

    ReplyDelete
  7. South Colorado. When I graduated College 2 years ago, I asked my wife the same question. And we had the chance to move after graduation, so we were very lucky.

    And here we are. And every day we realize that we could have been miserable in the big hot city in Louisiana or happy here in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mudbug, I have heard a few people say they visit CO and want to stay. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure Mr Rawles would appreciate your support at the American redoubt :) That's where I'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you find that place, let me know. I've been wondering which place was the best to live, but the old adage, "The grass is greener..." has kept me put for now ; ) Thanks for stopping by the blog and following. Hopefully I will put in mind many good recipes to follow, thereby putting much good food in your tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ausprepper, I think JWR's place is probably fairly tight knit.
    Kitchen Witch, I will let you know but like you say the grass is always greener other places. I used to travel a lot and think some places were neat till I stayed a few weeks and changed my mind. I always enjoy getting new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am in Canada...atlantic canada. very small population and i live on an island with only 2 ways to get to it - a causeway and by boat. everyone here wants to blow up the causeway regardless of SHTF and any invaders coming by boat will get big rocks thrown at them by very big fishermen, coalminers and loggermen after the ammo runs out.

    i can't remember where i saw a list of the 30 things you want in a BOL? maybe Rawles? or maybe Saxon? not sure. but i saw a list of 30 requirements for a BOL and ours lined up pretty good - we are still working on a few of the finer points though.

    anyway - awesome post duke! and if i lived in the states - i would pick Maine. Maine is beautiful country, has a small population, the people who live there have been living there for centuries, they know their area, are a real friendly bunch if you know how to interract with them, have tons of streams, rivers, lakes and oceanfront and lots of wild game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kymber, Thanks for the input, I was focusing on the US mainly however I realize that Canada is close proximity also. Good points.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barnsville, Alabama. Don't look for it on a map, it's not there. It's in the northwest part of the state close to Mississippi. Has absolutely nothing to do with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, it's just where I wish I could be. Don

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Don, I kind of like the NE part of the state. A lot of folks don't realize the Appalachian Mountains extend down into Al.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like Colorado, but it's fast filling up with transplant Californians (who are trying to make it just like the craphole that they left), illegal Mexicans taking advantage of the sanctuary policies that the Californians brought with them, and second-rate college kids and trustafarians who just want to smoke dope. They all get to vote in that state now and they're turning it very blue very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ML,
    You found the only downside to Colorado. However, most of the people you mentioned live in the "front range". The mountains hide the other 10% of the population, and that is where the landowning, gun owning, red blooded Americans who can drive stick and drive through snow cover passes live. I even have a dyed in the wool, moonbat liberal friend who just came back from Vegas where she took a firearms class. The Kalifornication of Colorado is that I-25 front range corridor. And they can keep the crappiest part of the state, as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ive always liked TN, (rural portions of course) and we have even found several properties for sale there. I like it for its resources. I also like Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh-speaking of Maine-My brother lived there for years, and he said the same things kymber did-he always says that if you want to live off the grid-Move to Maine..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Murphy's Law, this is a problem with every nice place, the "low life's" flock there also.
    Mudbug, Glad to have your "boots on the ground" assessment.
    JUGM, TN does seem to have a lot of nice advantages, no income tax either. I had not heard that about Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. even though we live in canada, i have thought about where in the states i would live and for some reason, wyoming calls to me.

    maine would be another choice for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jambaloney, Wyoming does have a certain lure to it, I would like to visit sometime and stay a while.

    ReplyDelete