Friday, February 10, 2012

Importance of Training 2

 I wanted to recap some thoughts about training from yesterday. There is no set course to follow, you can make up things, be creative (just stay safe) I mentioned training hard, to me it is actually more fun than shooting paper targets. I really hate public gun ranges, most will have a cow if you draw from the holster and rapid fire, you have to shoot approved targets (no tin cans, how un-American is that) So private property is your best option.
You need to be familiar with the weapon you carry and know it inside out, you can practice that doing almost any shooting, and to some extent drills at home.  But when it comes to shooting 500 to 1000 rounds the 22 is an excellent training weapon as pointed out by Keads, it is still fun to shoot and inexpensive (to me there is a direct correlation between cheap and fun) this is in fact the round I shoot most now-days.
I shoot the Ruger 10-22 also the Ruger Mk II pistol and I have a 22 adapter for my AR15
Some simple drills you could try. Have 2 shooters line up 10 tin cans each in a line, use a distance which offers a challenge, load your magazines with 5 rounds each. Have both shooters wait for the command upon which they will draw and shoot all their cans as quickly as possible, reloading as needed, compete for time.
Do the same drill with rifles except put the cans out at about 100 yards. Upon command drop to the prone position and fire. Bench rest shooting is excellent to sight in a rifle but does little to give you real life training.
Another target I like to shoot is a 20# propane cylinder (make sure it's empty Stephen, another story for a different day) It is about the right size for 'center body mass' It can be hung from a tree limb at 100 yards, I like to shoot it using my AR15 with 22 adapter. You can clearly hear the hits at that distance. You can try these drills using variations like running between trees or posts and firing  2 or 3 shots at each station till you finish.
This is wrong, don't shoot up a good Jerry Can.
Milk jugs or 2 liter bottles filled with water make a fun target. Old fruit (don't go there) makes a good target.
You can buy all kinds of commercial targets but I am into low budget (translate fun) training. I know this is old hat to lots of you but bear with me because there are newer shooters who are looking for ideas.
If all else fails you could  practice similar drills in your yard using a BB pistol or Air Soft gun.

I should learn not to give people bad ideas like I did yesterday, talking about shooting from vehicles. I knew someone would want to try it (I won't mention any names but his initials are 45er )   This is really a combat tactic and not a self defense drill, if someone shoots at you on the highway concentrate on getting away, not shooting back......BUT having said that I will give give some words of caution strictly in the interest of freedom of information.
We were taught this in Kuwait by ex-special forces guys, contracted by the military to teach troops going to Iraq. It lasted 3 days. The weapons we used (apart from roof mounted) were the M16

Practice from a stationary vehicle before moving, be careful of outside mirrors, they tend to get shot. The driver has to shoot his rifle with the barrel resting on the window sill, he can't use the sights so you shoot low watching the dust where the round hits the ground. You then 'walk the rounds' on target, the 20# cylinder is a good target here. Passenger has to shoot in an awkward position unless they are left handed (BTW driver needs to shoot right handed) Passenger does all the reloading, when the driver shouts reload the passenger loads HIS weapon and chambers the round and hands it to the driver, sweeping the barrel first and toward the windshield careful not to ever point it at the driver, at the same time the driver passes the empty weapon, (butt first) to the passenger. In this manor driver and passenger keep trading weapons. Another word of caution, spent brass bounces around violently inside the vehicle when ejected. It will bounce off the windshield, the roof etc. Some of it will go down your shirt....and it burns, you can't get it out so beware it will undoubtedly hit you in the face so safety goggles are a good insurance as well  A rider in the back of a truck can have targets called out to him from driver or passenger because they see them first, you can map out a course and drive it, changing it up all the time. The rider in the back is best to be in a seated position.
The Law probably takes a dim view of this kind of training so beware, needless to say it is not easy, not like gangstas make it look on TV.
Here again I am not recommending this, it is written for entertainment purposes only. If anyone tries this and gets hurt I will delete this post and no one will ever remember where they saw it.

15 comments:

  1. Duke another fine post. If anything these (posts)should give folks the chance to stop, look, and THINK. I can see myself doing these drills around my apartment complex. But I also see myself talking to the LEO's. Like I said stop, look, and THINK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, heck, a partially filled propane tank makes a fine target....especially if the shooter isn't aware it holds some gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kinda funny. at least it didn't blow up.

      Delete
    2. I was about to comment, "Please tell me tracers weren't involved." But apparently they weren't.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, you are hilarious and I was just getting ready to ask my mentor, John, if we could start shooting from moving vehicles. You gotta watch that 45er...he's a wild card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was having fun with 45er. He's good. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I know one "Rocket Scientist" that shot an AK (semi-auto) out of his drivers side window at some feral hogs. The shell casings tend to fly 8 feet or so from that big bolt on an AK. Well' them russkie steel shell casings did a number on his windshield and he had to buy a new windshield.

    (I know theres gotta be a quote from Slim Pickens in the movie "Dr Strangelove" that I could pick on "Russkies", but I can't remember one)

    I know Clint Eastwood is a tough guy, but Slim Pickens successfully piloted a B-52 over Russia and rode a nuke down onto target like a true Cowboy. (beat that Dirty Harry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the steel casings would be a little harsh of course all ours were brass. The brass does get hot. I still have some small scars from hot brass. The roof mounted M60 and 50 cal's would rain brass down as well depending on the way they were mounted.

      Delete
  6. Oh, OH, you're doing it again. Now you're doing it on purpose. Actually, since we have private property, I have shot from vehicles and done other fun things, but would never consider that any kind of "training" for something I would do in the real world. I'm not an operator that operates anywhere, so it's not a skill I would probably ever need. It is only something different and fun to do. You're right on there. Still, you're rubbing it in and I can't do it this weekend, either. It's going to happen soon and I'm going to take out some fruit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45er, you're good, I like kidding around with friends. I wish I had a piece of property to practice that kind of advanced training, you may never need it but it gives you confidence to handle much easier situations. Careful shooting fruit, it might be considered a hate crime.

      Delete
  7. A watermelon trying to catch a .223 HP round travelling at 3000+ fp/s is truly a sight to behold. It has the uncanny and instantaneous effect of converting gunshy types to true believers.
    On another note, though we prohibition state penal colony types can't get our hands on any "less than lethal" ammunition (ironically), I'm sure that if you can get/make it at a reasonable price in the US then it would be a good investment for the purposes to vehicular combat training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #edit# purposes *OF* vehicular combat training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just park the vehicle at the end of the range and shoot it. That is always more fun (use a rental car)

      Delete