Friday, February 3, 2012

Garden Time (almost)

I was reading SciFiChick this morning, she had a post on starting seeds. Got me to thinking I need to get my garden ready. Around here (Florida) I like to have a garden in around March 1st but in order to do that I like to plow it at least twice before I plant, allowing seeds to sprout or weeds to come up before I plow again so I get a good kill. On a small garden you can lay a tarp or black plastic out on the ground to kill all grass in the area. One of my favorite things to grow is bush beans (green beans) they produce almost all summer and can be picked almost every day. I have about given up on growing corn as the varmints get to it before I do, squirrels are the worst, I have seen them shuck and eat the corn right on the stalk. I live in a suburban area but have two acres with woods and a creek nearby so critters are in abundance.
Over 20 years ago I used to trap racoons and possums around my garden,  I would take the trap, animal enclosed, down to the inner city area and sell them to the local's I would usually find standing around a burn barrel in vacant lot. I found out they wanted them alive but they would ask me to kill it so they could be sure it was fresh kill. I would take a long barrel 22 revolver out of my truck and do the deed right there on the side of the road, I don't think I could get away with that today. Police now days take a dim view of discharging weapons in public especially in the middle of the city.....no sense of humor.

15 comments:

  1. Cops, they just haven't a sense of humor. I get away with it around here, as you well know, by using cb caps...squirrels make great gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the CB caps as well now. except the 4th of July and New Years day I can use a 44mag.

      Delete
  2. Arg! Here in Idaho it's another three months before we can even think about planting. The ground's still too frozen to even roto-till right now. Major climate envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, at least we don't have frozen ground to deal with.

      Delete
  3. That's the best story I've heard in awhile! Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mermaid, I know times change. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. we just got a dumping of "staying" snow! and you are already thinking of seeds???? i am sooooo jealous. but love ya buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, yes we are usually eating out of the garden before you can plant up there, but I don't like the heat in the summer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Florida is good for only 5 things, Good weather for growing, Duke, Stephen, JUGM & Senior. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I do like the winter weather, actually we can grow a garden all winter, I don't but many do. Usually crops that would be considered fall gardens further north.

      Delete
    2. *cheering to Rob* right on buddy!

      Delete
  6. You make me want to try a garden this year. I gave up on gardens knowing I would have to water every day for the entire growing season since we weren't going to get any rain at all. Speaking of raccoons, this will give you a huge belly laugh. If you haven't read it, it's worth it. If you have, it's worth another read.

    http://kenthomas.us/?p=408

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45er, I read that, pretty funny. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  7. Duke, my Dad told me about shooting rabbits on the front lawn of city hall when he was a kid, Miami city hall. That was a long time ago. Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times change for sure, you can't do that today (I'm fairly sure anyway)

      Delete