Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Revolvers, What I like.

I am a big fan of revolvers. I know they don't have hi-capacity mags and aren't as lightweight or 'hip' as some of the auto load pistols (I do love the 1911 though) The first handgun I had was a revolver. I grew up watching westerns and they always appealed to me. I like the simple design, they have no real safety except the one between your ears. Double action is neat, you pull the trigger and it goes bang, if it fails to fire you keep pulling the trigger till it goes bang, no clearing needed.  In my ever so humble opinion they are a good 'first gun'
One of my favorites is this S&W model 29. it is a 44 Mag with a 4" barrel. It is the same gun as seen in the Clint Eastwood movie, "Dirty Harry", only his was a 6" barrel. Many of these 4" barrel guns were sold only to  traded back to the gun shop a week later with a box of shells (less 6 rounds) They are fairly brutal to the hands with a full high power 44 mag load, feels like someone took a sledge hammer to your palm. I reload my own shells so I load the 44 mag shells with the 44 Special load. This makes them very pleasant to shoot and easy to control but I still have the option of the heavy loads.  When I bought this one (years ago) it was like new in the box but my guns are not safe queens, I shoot them and enjoy them. I don't purposely beat them up but I don't baby them either.
I like a well used gun, light scratches are OK and some holster wear is fine. A safe queen probably never saved anyone and it certainly never won any battles.

24 comments:

  1. I tend to carry a wheelgun more often than any other handgun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to carry a wheel gun more often as well. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I had a Model 29 just like yours. I never found the recoil to be that disagreeable. Perhaps I am one of those freaks that don't notice it much if at all. Right now, my wheel gun jones is for one that will shoot .45 Long Colt and .45 ACP with moon clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recoil doesn't usually bother me much either, maybe it was a combination of hard wooden grips and extra heavy loads, I don't remember it being unbearable just not very pleasant if you shot a lot. I know the 44 Special load is very nice.

      Delete
  3. I love my wheel guns too. I switch my carry ever so often to a little Smith .38.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does it not surprise me that we think alike (most of the time anyway)

      Delete
  4. I prefer my .357 mag carry gun loaded with .38 + P better than my sig 9mm and I love my sig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there is less to 'think' about with a wheel gun.

      Delete
  5. i know nothing about revolvers. only handguns i ever shot was a browning 9mm and a glock 9mm. but i would love to get me a revolver. something about Dirty Harry makes ya feel safe. jambaloney's dieing to get his hands on one.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I do like the Browning (Hi-Power)as well, it is the same basic design as the 1911. I like not having to 'police' all my brass.

      Delete
  6. You'll do to ride the river. I use 2400 powder, 250 gr. plain base,hard lead, in the .44 Spl case to get 1,200 fps, Elmer's load. I shoot it in my 4in 1950 Target and my 6in 29. Elk killer in close.
    Good shooting, Mountain Rifleman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you get a little higher pressure using that load in a 44 special case as opposed to the mag case. Thanks for the input.

      Delete
  7. The Liebster Award Blog award is being passed around, along with Stephen @ Standing Outside Looking in, I also nominated you for it. Your Blog is a daily read for me, I always enjoy your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my friend. I like to hear people find merit in my ramblings.

      Delete
  8. Not too much experience with revolvers, but have been thinking as a back up gun, might be a good choice:. Not Dirty Harry's gun probably:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agirlandhergun, They are fun to shoot (in my opinion anyway) and I don't have to pick up brass, a plus if you re-load. I like it as a carry gun as well, IMHO if you HAVE to shoot more than 5 (or 6) shots quickly you are in a world of hurt anyway.

      Delete
  9. Well Duke, along with KingAzJay I selected you also.

    http://tranquilitylost.blogspot.com/2012/02/wow-i-received-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. The revolvers are special to me and I do carry a Colt Detective Special snubby every once in a while. Nice Smith and My Colt is so much more special for the holster wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I guess it is something we were raised with, it never goes away.

      Delete
  11. Oh, you bring up bad memories. To this day, I regret selling a 5 inch N Frame in .357 Mag. Oh, it still hurts.

    Also, I've slapped you with an award. They're going around like crazy. Enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45er, sorry for the bad memories, best I recall that .357 N frame was made for highway patrol use or at least they tended to use them a lot.
      Thanks for the award my friend.

      Delete
  12. Man, you all are making me tear up. I LOVE revolvers. I've had several over the years. My favorite was a Ruger Security six. I put some pac myers on it, and carried it many years, while roaming the mountains here in Colorado. It shot true.
    I never should of sold it. Now, if you all will excuse me. I'm going to cry for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flier389, Funny thing I had a Security Six, excellent shooting gun, it was stainless steel. I gave it to my oldest son on his 21st birthday and now he enjoys it. Those things are worth some change now days. I think I paid about $125 for mine 25 years ago, I saw one a few weeks ago (blue) for $550

    ReplyDelete