Thursday, April 19, 2012

I'm Really A Nice Person

I was reminded of this a few days ago while driving to work, there I was riding along pushing the buttons on the radio looking for the news, I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw something like this about 20' behind me. I was not on a busy highway like the photo shows but rather a 2 lane city street. I was driving about 40 MPH and here behind me was what looked like a college kid standing on the seat of his 'crotch rocket'
Many of you know I ride a motorcycle also, so I know the risks but this was just stupid. As the saying goes, "There are old riders and there are bold riders but not old-bold riders"
Anyway there I was looking at an idiot. My first thought was to slam on brakes......oh the urge was strong, I had this clear vision of the motorcycle slamming into the bumper of my truck and the rider flying head first into the rear window. I could see him flopping around like a mullet with a broke neck in the bed of the truck. Then I thought of the damage to my truck, the police report, being late to work, his grieving friends and family (all this went through my mind in a second or two)
 Sigh......I changed my mind, maybe I'm getting soft.
Note to his mother, you're welcome.......I am a nice guy.

24 comments:

  1. For a stunt like this, you should also send his mother a bill for having been such a nice guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew who she was I would send her a sympathy card to hold for future use.

      Delete
  2. There are three kinds of people. Smart ones who do something stupid, stupid people who do stupid stuff, and the smart ones who video tape/photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, heck, Bubba. I've known for years. You are a nice guy. Keep a few ball bearings in your truck for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity, I blew it.

      Delete
  4. This made me laugh! (oh, and I would have least tapped my brakes to freak him out a bit...I am not so nice a person, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tapping the brakes would have scared him bad I am thinking.

      Delete
  5. oh Dear Duke - we all know that you are a NICE guy!!! but dang - THAT would have made for an excellent "Not Good #32"!!!!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't fix stupid. I'm sorry. If they are dumb enough to ride like that, then they have no room to bitch if they dump their bike. And it gets ran over. We had that happen here in Denver. Dip wad was standing on the seat of his rocket. Guy in front of him hit his brakes. Biker layed it down, he went head first into pavement, rolled several times. And while he was doing that, a semi ran over the bike. Nothing left but confetti. biker was hauled off to hospital. Broken neck, and a road rash from his heels up past his butt.(He was wearing shorts and flip flops.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Duke, been a motorcycleist myself most of my life. Just yesterday a friend told me a good one. A guy he knows was riding up a canyon road recently, a road frequented by riders. This guy is 70 years old with many years of riding under his belt and lots of friends :) As he's riding some idiot on one of them turbocharged lawnmowers passed him and the guy slaps him on the back of the helmet. Well further on up the road the guy pulls into a local watering hole and guess who's there? Yeah the slap happy idiot. Unfortunately for him several of the 70year olds friends are also there. He relates what had happened to his friends and they do the only sensible thing. They pick up the rice rocket, walk it over to a cliff and drop it off, about 700 feet. Sometimes justice is so sweet. Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, good one. I guess he's lucky he didn't get a 45 slug through his back tire at 65 MPH.

      Delete
  8. Time for more chlorine in the gene pool! You are much nicer than I would be, I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will catch up with him I am sure, Idiots like this can't last too long.

      Delete
  9. I once had a friend named Indian Larry who died doing that stunt....on a racetrack, not the highway. I see these damn fool young'uns riding that way up here....rolling down the highway on the back tires too....it is flippin' crazy. but yeah, I was young once too.

    btw....I am friends with some some of your CVA guys up here in Columbia SC too......you guys rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when Indian Larry died, 2004 I think. Thanks.
      (yes the combat vets is a good bunch)

      Delete
  10. shit....that would be funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete