Monday, April 23, 2012

Mr Raccoon Goes To Town

There is a very sweet lady who lives near me who has a few pets. Because food is left outdoors she attracts  raccoons and possums, this leads her to set traps for the wild critters which she then brings to me to dispose of.
 Years ago I would, and have, sold them in the poorer sections of town for their food value however the last dozen or so I have released at different remote locations. This is the latest creature which she brought to me. He was cranky due to being in the trap about 8 hours.
 So me and Mr Raccoon went for a ride. I figured he had been in the woods long enough and needed a change of scenery. I loaded him in the truck and we headed to town. Here you see we are crossing the river with the city skyline visible out the window.
                                                            


 It was later in the afternoon and most people were leaving the city. As I reached the edge of down town I found a parking lot, pulled in and stopped. I opened the trap and rapped in the top, he ambled out and hopped off the tailgate then lumbered slowly across the parking lot, disappearing between two buildings. There is a river and restaurants nearby with dumpsters. He will eat good.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, man, that's great....I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bubba, it's good to do something for God's little creatures.

      Delete
  2. We get some of his kin near us. They don't seem to be afraid of us, but I give them the right of way. Told the kids the same thing. Lots of dumpster driving around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do like dumpsters, keeps them full. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. So, now the raccoon is someone else's problem? My neighbors feed raccoons. The racoons come to my house to eat my hens! when I trap a raccoon, the animal control officers come and disposeof them. In this state, it is illegal to relocate a raccoon from its area. It seems raccoons will infect a whole new population if they have a disease. It makes no sense to me. And, if you are in a state that has a similar law, I am not telling anyone what you do. I just don't care. Your blog caught my eye with the raccoon post.

    Raccoons infested my attic and were tearing it apart, aside from killing one of my hens. So, I am not fond of city raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he was in a residential part of the city now he is in a more commercial area where he won't be as much a pest, in fact they will think he is cute down there. I don't know of a law about it here, I agree they are bad in your attic. Hopefully he wont have access to attics any more. It seems the wild animals like living in the city all the ones you see are very fat and well fed.

      Delete
    2. Animal control guys tell me I catch the largest raccoons they have ever seen. Neighbors feed raccoons. Raccoons decided my chickens were tasty. City accused me of "Harboring wild animals." I am not allowed to kill them or relocate them. The city can kill them, just not me. Yes, they will live in the commercial buildings. However, as long as they stay out of my house and away from my hens, I really don't care.

      Delete
  4. You and Stephen have the coolest stories, well and Lawdog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend. Glad you like your new job.

      Delete